All writing and photos on this site are copyright of the author, unless other credit is given.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

"The worst crap I ever wrote..." - Me



Today's writing is the worst crap I ever wrote. Yeah, yeah I know I'm supposed to avoid judgment of my creative work, but this ain't judgment, it's reality. The poetry I wrote is so disjointed even I can't make hide nor hair of it. The story I wrote sounded like it was written as a war propaganda narrative, the likes of which you'd hear in one of those 1940s newsreels.

That's not bad though. At least I have enough taste to recognize they're crap. The big question is: can I edit them so that they express what I really want to say in the way I want to say it?

2 comments:

  1. At least you are getting words on the page, and hey, you've given a creative description of your worst crap writing.

    To quote Anne Lamott from 'Bird by Bird', "For me and most of the other writers I know, writing is not rapturous. In fact, the only way I can get anything written at all is to write really, really shitty first drafts."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very wise words, Andrea. Thanks for being in my corner. Here's what is interesting about this writing. Today I spent my afternoon working on the draft of the poem. It took a little while, but the emotion came and there was a great flow. I felt like I was able to get at what I was feeling of the moment I was writing about. I was able to get it onto the page in a way I wanted to express it. It still needs a bit of tuning, but it felt great to get to that level of connection with it.

    Incredible how this all works. I am constantly educated by it when I let the process go where it will.

    Thanks again for your words and especially the quote by Lamott. Good to be reminded that the pros struggle much as well.

    ReplyDelete